Monday, March 23, 2015

The Hurdles of Creating Content (with no experience creating content)

   Everyone says "just start a podcast". If you're an avid listener of any byte sized content or you frequently adjust your radio tuner to the NPR station then maybe you've thought of creating such content. Or maybe you've heard Kevin Smith or Joe Rogan say something along those lines. One way or another you somehow got to this blog so you must have an interest in creating some sort of online media.
   At the time I'm writing this I barely have a company name and a few haphazardly recorded interviews talking about possible podcast ideas. That's right, ideas that are possible. Basically, I've got one step up from nothing.
   That isn't to say I haven't learned anything. My audio editing skills have gone from absolutely nothing to complete novice (a small but important step up), my understanding of how to prepare a guest for a recording has developed loads, I've started to undertake the idea of starting a business around podcasts and the way I listen to the podcasts I love has gone from passive to analytic. And all of that is just the stuff I spat out for this little blog post! Imagine if I sat down and tried to come up with something to impress whatever Russian people actually find their way here.
   So if I've learned all of that how can I have almost nothing to show for it? Because not all adventures start out with clear victories. Not all I've accomplished has a physical (or even digital) presence. There have been a lot of obstacles along the way that have forced me to grow and that's what I've accomplished. From the courses I'm taking on organizational structure of a business to the new podcasts I've found about the business of creating media, everything is pushing toward my goal. Even my new activities outside of this side venture have shown positive growth.
   What I'm trying to say is, the biggest hurdle of creating content is learning. Learning how to create content.
   That's all I really have for now. I'll be working on a preview of sorts highlighting the best of my first interviews talking to a few friends about their podcasts and about starting a media production company. Until then, I'll leave you with this.


"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi

No comments:

Post a Comment